We’re doing a ‘Couples Meet the Member’ this month and our two candidates are among the loveliest couples we have in our Ms.Fit/Brawd family.
Mike’s been a staple of the Brawd family from day 1, an ever present with his dog Sally at Brawd sessions before racing home post session on Saturday morning to look at the children while his wife, MsFitter Katie, enjoys a bootcamp herself. Once you’ve read what ‘Ice’ Mike has to say, head over to our Ms.Fit page to see Katie’s questions and answers!
1. What do you do for a living? What’s the strangest job you’ve ever had?
I’m a Sponsorship and Fundraising Consultant. The strangest job I ever had was working for a construction company on a tunnelling job in Blackpool, where I spent 4 months on nightshift, underground, clearing out the spoil that was left behind in the newly constructed tunnel (which mainly consisted of miner’s poo because they couldn’t be bothered to go to the surface to go to the toilet!).
2. I know the answer to this, but for the boys and girls out there, do you have any animals and if so, what’s your favourite story about them?
We have a lovely Staffy cross called Sally who trains with me when we have outdoor sessions. She came to us as a rescue dog when she was approximately 2 ½ and she was 12 last week. We live in a row of terraces on a steep hill and one day Sally just disappeared – we couldn’t find her anywhere. Arghhhh! Panic! Facebook missing dog appeals – the works. She was missing for a couple of hours when I got a call from one of our neighbours from 6 doors down. She’s come home to find Sally in her back garden eating all the fat balls that she’d put out for the birds. The drop between each pair of houses on our street is over 12 feet (yikes).
3. You’re well known for your dancing skills, which three tunes or artists are most likely to get you moving?
That is waaaaaaaay too hard, but these are definitely tunes that would make me drop my drink and run to dance floor.
Love Sensation – Loretta Holloway
Far Out – Sonz of a Loop da Loop Era
Humanoid – Stakker Humanoid
4. If you were trapped in a lift, which two Brawd members/coaches would you chose to be in there with you – one to keep you amused and one to help you escape?
Trapped in a lift is a tricky one – there aren’t any convenient escape hatches in the ceiling like in the movies, so I’m working on the basis that we’re trapped in there.
I’d have Daf Stone and Mark Lawlor – small chaps use less oxygen and I could always eat one of them if I got peckish.
5. As in ye olde days, your life so far is to be told in song – what genre of music would that be, who would write the lyrics/music and who would perform it?
I’d like a mashup of opera, hip-hop, house, techno, indie, rave, punk, reggae and ska please.
Libretto by Stewart Lee sung by John Lydon.
6. Which facet of Brawd training do you excel at and which do you have to work at?
I wouldn’t claim to excel at anything; I have to work at it all. Such is my lot.
7. You have the ability to travel in time – do you go forwards or backwards and who do you travel with – Marty McFly, The Traveller (from HG Well’s The Time Machine) or Bill & Ted?
Forwards (it’s the only way) and with the Doctor – forget those other guys.
8. What is it like having a partner in Ms.Fit and have you trained together?
It’s all about the changeover. Katie trains straight after me on Saturday mornings so it’s always a mad dash to get home to sort out the kids. We don’t train together but we do a lot of family activities that Katie does in her “Active Wear”.
9. Having two lovely children, what do you say are the most rewarding and most challenging parts of being a parent?
Too many good bits and lots of challenges. My personal favourite is attempting to get out of the house on time.
10. What impact has Brawd had on your life?
It’s been great. I love my sessions. The Brawds are a great bunch of guys and I have so much fun.
11. What are your health and fitness goals moving forward?
I’m trying to lose weight and maintain a healthy weight once I get there – so diet as well as training is important. I trained really hard for the Darth Mannion Beach and Swamp Run Challenge this year and twisted my ankle 6 weeks before the race which has prevented me from taking part. I have unfinished business at Darth Mannion so I’m looking forward to 2018.
12. What is your favourite nutritious meal and what is your guilty pleasure?
Katie makes a mean smoked mackerel and butternut squash risotto which is great. I like nothing more than sitting down with a pint and a bag of pork scratchings.